So those who are close to me are probably tired of hearing me talk about my weight loss journey. There are, however, a few people who haven’t heard my methods and want to get in on the magic. I’m not a overly selfish individual so I thought I would share.
First let me say that I have only been doing this for 12 days. My results may very well slow down as I continue but currently they are still speeding up. I also would like to point out that you need to know your own body. My methods might be considered healthy by the general health community. With that in mind here is a image of my current progress provided by the iPhone app weightbot.
The Challenge: I need to lose 50 lbs. but I am currently very limited in what exercise I can do because of physical ailments and time constraints.
My Philosophy: My problem is less about my stomach and more about my mouth. Ever when I am full my mouth craves flavor. I find my stomach is easy to appease but my mouth will not relent its desire to eat. This is, unfortunately, a battle of will power. In this battle it is imperative that I keep myself busy and focused. If I can get involved into a project I can almost completely ignore my desire for food. It’s one of the tricks that helps me the most.
Here is what I don’t do.
- I don’t count calories. When I do this I tend to be thinking about food constantly. This is very dangerous for a food addict like myself. I do consider calories however. When I am about to eat I try to eat the lowest calorie item I can unless it’s the end of the day and I know I need a heavier calories meal for health sake.
- I don’t limit the types of food I eat. If what I want is an unhealthy cheeseburger, than that’s what I eat. No carb or fat free thoughts enter my mind.
- I don’t stare myself. If I’m truly hungry I eat. The journey here is learning what true hunger actually feels like.
So that’s what I don’t do. Here is what I have been doing.
- I drink only water…period. At least for now. I love food and don’t want to wast what I do consume on beverages.
- When I’m hungry I try not to eat anything that’s bigger than my fist. Since my diet is based on appeasing true hunger and not giving in to my mouths desire for flavor it helps if I keep my stomach as small as possible.
- I’ve slowed down how fast I eat. I try to take at least 20 minutes to eat the first half of any meal I consume. This gives my stomach time to process that it’s full. Many times I can push the rest of the meal away.
- I never take more than one bite of food at a time, allowing for a drink of water between each. This helps in the amount I might eat at any sitting.
- If my stomach starts acting up between meals or my mouth is becoming more than I can bear I eat 2 or 3 saltine crackers. That little bit of food usually calms the stomach and appeases the mouth for at least a little while.
That’s really it. Because I have shrunk my appetite and average might consist of a bagel and cream cheese for brunch and then an average dinner. That may not seem like a lot but I simply don’t need anymore than that most days.
So no magic here but I’m finally losing weight and not feeling cheated in the process. Your thoughts?